Monday, November 28, 2011

{Thirty Days of Thanks~Day 28}

Oh---the late night post---THIS is why I was posting late at night for the NEXT day's post.....so I didn't look down at 11:32 with the day almost over before I had a moment to write up a post! BUT, here I am---tonight I'm grateful for perspective. Don't you LOVE that? It's funny, Joshua has been studying the Renaissance in class and one of the things they have studied is "perspective"---looking at a "picture" of something (drawn on a flat surface) that appears to get smaller as it "moves away from" the viewer---that's definitely NOT an expert definition---but this is how Joshua and I have talked about it. I had never really THOUGHT of it in art---until he and I began to discuss it---yes, I'm a loser about the visual arts---I try, but it's not a natural inclination for me!

I mentioned last night that we were studying for his history test and this whole concept came up---like a short answer sort of question that he'll need to know about--so we had some time to discuss it. After I put him to bed, I began to think about perspective---and how it really does change the way one sees something. Perspective---for me is often the act of "stepping back"---in my mind to get the whole picture. This has been a useful tool for me as I've walked through the last few months. I have had to "step back" and see the bigger picture at times---about numerous things---to really understand something. It's a good thing. I couldn't help but be reminded of 1 Corinthians 13 when Paul spoke of perspective or clarity in the last few verses.

When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways. 12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.
13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

These verses reminded me that "love" to a young child is really different than what "love" is to an adult.....I think some of the reason why is perspective. Don't get me wrong---there's MUCH more to it than  just perspective---but I feel like ALL of the growth that happens to us gives us perspective---it's like a mad cycle. Turning round and round until we have the proper perspective of Christ---I think my cycle will turn awhile longer---but at least it's turning, I guess. See you tomorrow, I hope!

No comments: